See our moving tips below to make sure you are prepared before, during, and after your move.
One Month Before You Move
- Schedule a date for your move. If your moving date needs to change please let your mover know ASAP.
- Decide which items your mover will transported to your new home or business. Unwanted items can be given to family or friends, donated to a local charity or sold in a garage sale. All unwanted items should be disposed of at least 2 weeks prior to the move.
- Start collecting moving and packing supplies now. You can purchase all these materials from Flatirons or a moving supply company. Boxes that you purchase from Flatirons or a moving supply company are designed for the moving industry to help prevent damages to your belongings. Boxes you get from work or various stores often are to weak and come in odd sizes.
- Begin making travel arrangements (hotel, flights, car rental, etc.) for your family.
- Finalize all real estate and rental needs.
- Contact your insurance agent to transfer medical, property, fire and auto insurance.
- All medical vaccinations and dental records should be placed in a safe place. Now is a good time to contact your family doctor for referrals and to ensure all prescriptions can be transfer to your new location.
- Plan on taking all important documents, such as wills, stock certificates, and other one-of-a-kind items (jewelry, coin collection, photos etc.) with you.
- Notify schools in the old and new location and arrange for the transfer of school records and begin the process of registering your children in their new schools
A Few Weeks Before You Move
- Visit your local Post Office or go online www.usps.com to obtain a Change of Address form.
- Begin packing items you will be packing. If you do some or all of the packing please refer to our Packing Tips section.
- Contact utility providers (e.g. telephone, gas, electric, cable TV and trash collection) at new and old locations with your moving date to make arrangements for connection and disconnection.
- Complete banking arrangements if your bank is not in your new area you may be able to open a new local account an transfer funds to the new bank.
- Check requirements for new drivers license and auto registration in your destination state.
- Contact Flatirons and confirm your moving date. Let them know changes in the agreed upon items being moved and any additional services you will need such as packing and unpacking or storage needs you may need.
- Do you need any motorized vehicles moved? Flatirons can make those arrangements for you.
- Consider giving your plants to friends or a assisted living facility if you are moving to another state. Some state laws prohibit the moving of houseplants.
- Make transportation arrangements for your pets. Be sure pets have all the proper and up to date health certificates and rabies inoculations. Some states will require these documents.
- Ensure all prescriptions were transferred to your new drugstore.
- Be sure all unwanted possessions have been disposed of.
- Dispose of items that represent a hazard and are not allowed to be shipped, such as chemicals, paint, and gas cans.
- Consider backing up your computer files. Consider taking your computer, monitor, back up files and disks with you in your car.
- Cancel newspapers and other regular deliveries.
- Mark the boxes you packed with a bold maker with the words such as “Fragile”, “Load Last”, etc.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator, freezer your stove all at least 24 hours before moving.
- Disconnect gas appliances.
- Pack your suitcases and confirm travel arrangements.
- Pick up any dry cleaning and laundry.
- Return videos and library books.
- Be sure to pack a first night / ready box. Your first night box should contain toiletries, snacks, flash light, etc. that you may need for the first night in your new home.
- Gather keys, alarm codes, garage door openers and be prepared to hand them over to the new owner or real estate agent.
- If your old home will be unoccupied for a period of time after you move, notify the police
- “Work” with the movers and be on hand when the movers arrive. If you are not able to be present while the movers are there, designate a friend or family member to help out and make decisions in your absence. Flatirons will need a release signed which will authorize your representative to sign documents in your behalf. These documents could obligate you for additional charges
- Stay home until the last item is packed. Make sure you agree with any notations about the condition of your furnishings and or boxes on the inventory sheet. It is your responsibility to see all of your goods are loaded.
- If you wish to have your goods unpacked you need to order this service in advance. Limited unpacking and removal of cartons may be requested at the time of delivery.
- Do not use your stereos, computers, televisions, other electronic devices and appliances for 24 hours after delivery to prevent possible damage.
- Final payment is required upon delivery in cash, traveler’s checks, money order or cashier’s check. Unless other arrangements were made in advance you are required by federal regulation to pay upon completion of the move.
- Enjoy your new home!